Monday, November 19, 2007


The countdown has begun!!! Each morning as we do our devotions together Neil says, "Only 10 more days, only 9 more days, etc. etc." It is just so surreal that our long journey to adopt Daniel is almost finished and he will soon be here with us. With every small event now, we talk about what life will be like when Daniel is here. When we sit down to eat, we talk about what it will be like when we're eating with Daniel. When we run errands, we talk about what it will be like to run errands with Daniel along. When we do our devotions together at 6:30 a.m. we talk about how we'll probably have to get up an hour earlier once Daniel is here with us!

I'm not going to lie - in the midst of all the excitement and joy, we are both battling a lot of fear and doubt right now. Do we remember how to take care of a 4-year-old? Do we have enough energy to be "fun" parents - now that we're in our 40's? Are we prepared and capable to raise a special-needs child? What about the financial cost of all his medical needs? Will we be able to make ends meet? Of course we know that these doubts and fears are not from God. Even as these thoughts come, I am reminded that all God's promises are YES in Christ Jesus! And He has promised to meet EVERY need that we have. Neil and I know the truth and know that the truth will set us free. It's just that the enemy is very sneaky. If you think of us today, please pray that we will keep our minds set on TRUTH today and not believe the lies of the enemy.
Things are coming together. Daniel's room is finally finished - hallelujah! This weekend we finished up lots of odds and ends around the house that have been waiting for our attention. I cleaned the toy room and removed all the games and toys that are not age-appropriate for a 4-year-old. I was shocked to find that there was not much left! It's a good thing that Christmas is just a couple of weeks after his arrival - toys and games will be much appreciated gifts! This week I must start thinking about packing for the trip. Thinking of Daniel's needs is a bit tricky since I'm not exactly sure what size he wears (in American sizes), but my friends Sherry and Lisa (who both have little boys) have helped me think through this. I think I at least have a plan now as to how to begin. Thanks, friends!

We received word from the foster home today that Thursday, Nov. 29 will be the day we meet Daniel. (There was some question about whether we would arrive at the foster home early enough on Thursday to see him before he went to bed). But it is now official - the 29th will be Gotcha day. We should arrive at the foster home around 7 p.m. which will be 5 am here in the states. I don't know if many people here will be awake to pray for us at 5 am, but I hope so! It will be such a special moment when we meet him.




1 comment:

Mandy said...

Hey Clements family!

This is Mandy Liptak from LCC's Admissions office. Karen has been sharing your good news with the campus. I'm excited for you guys and congratulations on the news! I can't imagine what you guys must be feeling right now, and I pray all goes well with travel and Daniel's transition into your family!