Thursday, December 6, 2007

Another "First" - Swimming in the Pool!

Hi everyone. This is Lora finally posting again. I have been so exhausted that I have been sleeping whenever Daniel sleeps, so I have not had much time to get on the computer. This morning we went to the international bazaar for awhile, but then Daniel woke up after falling asleep in the stroller and was VERY grumpy! He cried and cried and people on the street were watching us like we were abusing him or something so we quickly caught a cab and headed back to the hotel. He calmed down quickly once we were on our way. We have not seen any other foreigners here, so we really stand out and people watch us curiously every place we go. At first the stares really bothered me, but now I just ignore them. However I do feel conspicuous and very much like every move we make with Daniel is being studied. One of the first things the orphanage director said when she saw him was that he didn't have enough clothes on and she was sure he must be cold. (Our guide asked him if he was cold and he said he wasn't.) :)

When we got back to the hotel we had another first with Daniel. We took him down to the hotel swimming pool for a swim and boy, does he love the water! We had such a good time. There was a Chinese lady in the pool who spoke no English, but she really enjoyed Daniel and struck up a conversation with him about us! He seems to love it when Chinese people talk to him now and he really talks their ears off. He is a very verbal little boy and I think the language barrier with us is driving him crazy.

Thank you for all your wonderful comments. Your words of encouragement are like water to my soul right now. Every time I read one of your comments I feel God's love speaking to my heart through you. Amy, I wanted you to know that the paint with water set you bought has become one of Daniel's very favorite toys. What a great no-mess way to paint. What will they think of next? :) Sherry, you asked about the clothes. You were right, he is between a 2T and 3T. I brought mostly 3Ts and so far everything has fit pretty well. Actually the foster home sent some of his clothes with us so the first couple of days we put those on him because they were familiar to him. Shannon, you were not an awful baby. You were just our first and we did not know what to do with a crying baby!! Melissa, thanks for the reminder to us to be taking all of this in so we can share it with Daniel some day. Thanks again to all of you who are posting comments.

A couple of days ago I was really struggling because I was so exhausted and overwhelmed. But your prayers are being answered. God has poured His grace on me and given me strength and I feel MUCH better today. I am still tired but not so discouraged. It is such a miracle how quickly Daniel has become part of us. I can hardly remember what it was like before we had him with us.

Love you all! Lora

3 comments:

Julie the Doula said...

I love you all and am praying every day for you. Today I prayed that you will affect the darkness around you by the light from inside you. I also prayed for patience, with yourselves and with Daniel, so watch out! God is making the way before you, believe in that. Love, Julie

Amy said...

Okay, my sweet friends...I am SO proud of you! I can hardly sit here and read without being moved to tears. You are doing a great job. Know that we are warrioring for you back here.

Those pictures! Oh my, you do know how to have fun. I assume those are the fun goodies that baba picked up before you left. Daniel is so handsome! You can see his sweet, tender heart in his eyes. Lora, I am so glad that you are resting with him. You look "lit up" in the pics. I can't tell that you are exhausted. So, either those pics were taken before exhaustion set in or you hide it very well. Maybe it is kind of like those pictures that are taken after you go through labor. You obviously are physically wiped out, but you don't look half bad because that new mommy glow is radiating from your face.

I laughed about the people commenting that Daniel was not warm enough. I have had several people tell me that I must keep Libi Faith "bundled up" when we are there because we would be told that we didn't have her warm enough. And the "standing out" in the crowd...Brad has traveled to Japan several times and I love the story of the time he was in a toy isle of a store and there were these little kids standing in amazement looking at him like he was some sort of freak show. I can just picture it!

I am thinking that some "mommy and me" swimming classes are in order for that little mister. How fun to take him to the pool. I am sure it had probably been a while since you have played with little ones in the pool.

You are 6 days away from your flight home! I am praying you through this last leg in Guangzhou. (I feel like the White Swan is so famous...Do you feel that way?) I leave you with the words I prayed over you guys this mornig from Psalm 84
5 What joy for those whose strength comes from the LORD,
who have set their minds on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
6 When they walk through the Valley of Weeping,
it will become a place of refreshing springs.
The autumn rains will clothe it with blessings.
7 They will continue to grow stronger,
and each of them will appear before God in Jerusalem.
8 O LORD God of Heaven’s Armies, hear my prayer.
Listen, O God of Jacob.
9 O God, look with favor upon the king, our shield!
Show favor to the one you have anointed.
10 A single day in your courts
is better than a thousand anywhere else!
I would rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God
than live the good life in the homes of the wicked.
11 For the LORD God is our sun and our shield.
He gives us grace and glory.
The LORD will withhold no good thing
from those who do what is right.
12 O LORD of Heaven’s Armies,
what joy for those who trust in you.

Love, Amy

Sherry Semlow said...

Neil & Lora -

Thank you guys for the great updates. It really gives us a window of insight into what you are experiencing and how we can be specifically be praying!

Love the pictures! I can just tell that your sweet little guy is full of fun and energy! We cannot wait to meet him! I am sure the language barrier is frustrating to Daniel, since he has lots to say. God knows all about that and it will come in time. Hopefully Shannon and Sylvia will be an outlet for his stories when you get home.

We're praying you through the last of the cold dreary days. I checked the internet and it looks like you have sunshine and 70's waiting for you in Guangzhou. We're praying for smooth travel and a big, soft comfy bed at the White Swan. Along with sweet sleep for everyone.

I want to encourage you guys to remember that just as God called you to Daniel, he has already equipped you with EVERYTHING you need to be his mommy and daddy. Rest in HIS wisdom and strength.

Isaiah 40:28-31 says: "Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the creator of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Love, Sherry