Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Last Post from China

This will be our last posting from China. We will leave the hotel at 7 a.m. tomorrow to head for the airport. Our itinerary is grueling... Guangzhou to Beijing, 5-hour lay-over in Beijing, Beijing to Chicago, 5-hour lay-over in Chicago, and then Chicago to Bloomington. We have tried to prepare Daniel, but how can you explain all this to a 4-year-old?? I just pray that he sleeps on the flight from Beijing to Chicago. If he doesn't, we may be considering Benadryl! :)

This morning we went to the Guangzhou zoo which Daniel loved. There were lots of monkeys, which are his favorite animal. As usual, he behaved wonderfully. He is so easy to take places. It's only when we return to the hotel room that his personality changes. It's kind of a Jekyll and Hyde thing... :) But as Neil said earlier today, we kind of feel the same way coming back to this room. It gets very old living in a hotel room.

This afternoon we went to the American consulate to pick up Daniel's passport and visa and have our "swearing in" ceremony. There were many families at the "ceremony," two huge buses full. On the way, I sat by a mother whose baby had cried non-stop ever since they got her (and she was screaming her head off as we talked). My heart went out to her. I thought I was tired!! This evening we went to a Thai restaurant here on the island and as always it was an adventure. We are never sure quite what we're ordering until it arrives at the table. And this restaurant did not have forks so I had to struggle through using chop sticks. I decided it was either master the chop sticks or starve, so I managed.

Neil and I still have to pack this evening. If I could give just one piece of advice to adoptive families coming to China I would say, don't overpack!!! We brought WAY too much stuff and are very sorry now!

Well, if you think of us tomorrow (Wednesday) please pray for us as we travel home. Thanks and we'll see you in Bloomington/Normal. Love to you all.

Lora

1 comment:

Sanders Family said...

Laura and Neil,

The Sanders Family has been off-line since our move and we are finally getting to post on your blog. Glad to see all the photos and interaction with Daniel. I love the smiles.

Hurry home to share more stories and to enjoy the winter weather.